LOS ANGELES, Calif. (FOX 11) - Dr. Stefani Kappel is a dermatologist from Newport Beach who joined us to share her tips for younger looking skin at any age (featuring special guests: Megan Colarossi's mom and her fabulous girlfriends)!
Patient 1: Wendy
For Wendy, we gave her BOTOX in the glabellar 11 lines, crow’s feet, and forehead. BOTOX® Cosmetic is the only neurotoxin indicated for all three areas. Results are not immediate, they take 5-7 days to kick in and last about 3-6 months. And as you can see in her photos the treatment helped reduce fine lines and wrinkles in that area.
Patient 2: Shelly
As we get older one of the biggest differences we see is the thinning out of the lips. Shelly has really thin and you can see her marionette lines. So we used Juvederm® Volbella and Vollure® to restore volume to her lips and soften her marionette lines. and they last up to 12 months and 18 months, respectively.
Patient 3: Lori
Lori has great volume but one thing you do notice as you get older is that there is volume loss in the mid-face area which is why we used VOLUMA® on her. VOLUMA® is FDA-approved to restore age-related volume-loss in the mid-face area and in clinical trials, results last up to 2 years.
Lori also came in for a hydra facial. As we age, our ability to retain moisture and hydration decreases so this helps restore that!
Patient 4: Madge – MEGAN’S MOM!
As I mentioned before, as we age our skin loses collagen, elasticity and our ability to retain moisture. Also environmental exposures are definitely not helping so it is very important to take care of your skin! Here are some options that I like that you can find at your local drugstore, online, or at your dermatologist’s office
Part 2: Over the Counter treatments
• SkinMedica TNS Essential Serum. This all-in-one skin rejuvenating treatment improves the appearance of fine lines, wrinkles, skin tone and texture using growth factors. I suggest an all over application night and day! https://www.skinmedica.com/products/correct/tnsessentialserum $289
• Environ® Youth EssentiA Antioxidant Defence Crème. Antioxidants help combat free radical damage. https://dermaconcepts.com/collections/youth-essentia/products/antioxidant-defence-creme $102
• Revision Nectifirm Advanced is a cult favorite neck tightening product. For my patients who have started to see some slacking in the neck area, I like to recommend applying this day and night for a tightening effect. http://www.revisionskincare.com/nectifirmadvanced For people with significant submental fullness, KYBELLA® and CoolSculpt Mini are also viable in-office options $128
• The eyes are extremely important as the skin around that area is very thin. A great drugstore option is Cetaphil (See-Ta-Phil) Hydrating Eye Gel-Cream with hyaluronic acid for hydration, licorice root for brightening, and vitamin C & E for soothing and smoothing. I also love Elizabeth Arden Ceramide Eye Capsules to restore the building blocks of our skin barrier.
o $14.99 https://www.amazon.com/Cetaphil-Hydrating-Eye-Cream-Ounce/dp/B07798MG7Q
o $60, http://www.elizabetharden.com/advanced-ceramide-capsules-daily-youth-restoring-eye-serum-1001A0107303.html
• And as I mentioned before, don’t stop below the jawline, use a nice oil like Bio Oil after you show so the glycerin can bind to the water molecules for prolonged hydration! https://www.amazon.com/Bio-Oil-2oz-Multiuse-Skincare-Oil/dp/B000VPPUEA?th=1 $11
Stefani Kappel is a board certified dermatologist and double fellowship trained cosmetic dermatologist and Mohs Surgeon. She specialized in injectables, lasers and energy-based devices.
Follow Dr. Stefani Kappel on Instagram at @stefanikappelmd.