LOS ANGELES, Calif. (FOX 11) - It's summer and the kids are home. Many older kids have summer jobs and even little ones get allowance.
How do you teach your children to be financially savvy at an early age? Stacy Kaiser, psychotherapist and editor at large at Live Happy, offers tips and advice for parents of children -- both young and old.
1) Lead by example, model responsibility and good money habits.
2) Get them involved in age appropriate household shopping and expenditures.
3) Give them an allowance so they can manage their own "funds."
4) Teach them to set aside a portion of their money for savings, giving back to others, etc.
5) Communicate: Help them understand the importance and value of money, add to the information as they get older – take time listen and to answer their questions.
Copyright 2017 FOX 11 Los Angeles: Download our mobile app for breaking news alerts or to watch FOX 11 News | Follow us on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and YouTube. Be a citizen journalist for FOX 11 and get paid – download the Fresco News App today.