LOS ANGELES (FOX 11) - Mother's Day and Father's Day are just around the corner. Sara Skirboll from Retail Me Not tells us when to buy what you need -- and how to save the most:
WHEN TO BUY TO SAVE THE MOST
Mother’s Day Gifts
April oftentimes offers better deals on jewelry, handbags and small kitchen appliances than the month of May.
Spring cleaning gifts: Last year, select models from top vacuum brands were discounted as deeply as 40% before the new models debuted in June. Other cleaning- and organization-related products and services were discounted as well.
Outdoor furniture and décor gifts: We saw discounts as deep as 40% off outdoor furniture and colorful accents, like outdoor pillows and throw rugs in April, with the deepest discounts during the last week of the month. The month also sees big price cuts on gardening supplies, so stock up on plants, flowers and mulch to beautify your yard on a budget.
At the beginning of the month you’ll find 20-25% discounts on flowers and edibles from retailers. Discounts will deepen as we get closer to Mother’s Day, so don’t miss out!
Father’s Day Gifts
Grilling gear gifts: If your grill has lost its spark, consider buying in late May when grill deals start sizzling – some models should be discounted as deeply as 40%.
Camping gifts: Camping gear is prominently featured in Memorial Day sales from big outdoor retailers. Tents, coolers and related items were discounted as deeply as 50%.
Mattresses: Many a savvy shopper knows that Memorial Day is the time to buy a mattress for Dad. Discounts of up to 60% off are common before, during and even after the 3-day weekend.
Sales on tools, clothing and sporting goods pop up about two weeks prior to Father’s Day. Father’s Day sales at big national sports and outdoor retailers typically feature discounts of up to 30% on sporting goods and apparel.
WHAT DO THEY REALLY WANT?
· Gift Cards: 27% of moms want a gift card that they can use anywhere, a gift card for specific store or one that can be redeemed for a specific service .
· Spa Day: 13% of moms want to hit the spa. In fact, nearly 3 in 10 moms feel that Mother’s Day is a day to go out and be pampered.
· Help!: In addition to a gift, offer to help your mom out on Mother’s Day. Moms wish for someone to clean (33%), cook for their family (20%) or take care of their children (14%).
· Family Fun Time: More than one in five (41%) dads are looking to spend time with their family
· Electronics: While the same amount of dads (41%) are looking for an electronic gift (gadget or large electronic)
· Gift Cards: Over one in three (35%) American dads would like a gift card or gift certificate for Father’s Day
WAYS TO SAVE
· Always be sure to utilize price comparison sites which retailers offer the product at the lowest initial starting point. But don't stop there! See what additional discounts are available by searching a coupon site like RetailMeNot.com.
· Subscribe to your favorite retailer's e-newsletters as they often promote exclusive deals and offers directly through email communication
· On Facebook and Instagram, make sure to like the store pages where you tend to shop. Often times they'll launch a "secret sale" which may only last an hour or so and their followers are the first to hear about and take advantage of these deals
Sara Skirboll is the resident shopping and retail research & trends expert for RetailMeNot, based in-house at the RetailMeNot headquarters in Austin, Texas. With more than a decade of experience working within the retail, fashion and beauty arenas, Sara can speak about consumer shopping habits, trends, statistics and spending habits in both the online and brick & mortar landscapes.
Copyright 2016 FOX 11 Los Angeles: Download our mobile app for breaking news alerts or to watch FOX 11 News | Follow us on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and YouTube. Be a citizen journalist for FOX 11 and get paid – download the Fresco News App today.