RELATED: Movie Critic Matt Atchity: Oscar Nominated Movies
RELATED: Matt Atchity Of Rotten Tomatoes: Deep Movies, and Then 'The Interview'
RELATED: Movie Critic Matt Atchity: The Good And Not-So-Good At The Movies
Hot Tub Time Machine 2 – Rotten at 13%
- Starring: Rob Corddry, Craig Robinson, Adam Scott, Clark Duke
- Directed by: Steve Pink
- This time, our "heroes" travel ten years into the future.
- Critics hate it. The humor is mostly juvenile, which would be OK if any of the jokes were funny. I hated it.
The DUFF – Fresh at 62%
- Starring: Mae Whitman, Bella Thorne, Robbie Amell
- Directed by: Ari Sandel
- A high school girl is devastated to find out she is a DUFF – a Designated Ugly Fat Friend – so she enlists a charming jock to help her reinvent herself.
- Critics like it. They say it's one of the better teen comedies in a while, and Whitman puts in some great work.
McFarland USA – Fresh at 77%
- Starring: Kevin Costner, Maria Bello
- Directed by: Niki Caro (Whale Rider)
- A feisty coach is kicked of the high school football staff, so he starts a cross country team with the sons of local migrant workers. Based on a true story
- Critics like it. It's an old-school inspirational sports drama, but it all comes together for a rousing (and inspirational) story.
Wild Tales –Fresh at 92%
- An anthology of Twilight-Zone type stories that skewer various aspects of the culture of Argentina. Nominee for Best Foreign Language Film
- Critics love it. It's sharp and darkly funny, and effectively creepy.