Grilled Skirt Steaks with Kona Coffee Rub (Makes 4-6 Servings)
1 1/2 Tbsp kosher salt
1 Tbsp finely ground Kona coffee
1 Tbsp sweet paprika, preferably Spanish or Hungarian
1 tsp freshly ground black pepper
1 tsp ground cumin
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
2 1/2 lb/1.2 kg skirt steaks, cut into serving pieces
Extra-virgin olive oil
1) To make the rub: Whisk the ingredients together in a small bowl.
2) Lightly coat the steaks on both sides with the oil. Generously sprinkle the steaks all over with the rub and gently massage it in. Let the steaks stand at room temperature for 20 to 30 minutes.
3) Prepare a grill for direct cooking over high heat (see page 19).
4) Brush the grill grate clean. Cook the steaks over direct high heat, with the lid closed as much as possible, flipping the steaks halfway through cooking, until well browned, about 6 minutes for medium-rare. Transfer the steaks to a carving board and let stand for 3 to 5 minutes. With the knife held on a slight diagonal, carve the steaks across the grain. Transfer the slices and juices to a platter andserve hot.
Salmon Fillets with Ginger Glaze (Makes 4 Servings)
1/4 cup/60 ml hoisin sauce
2 Tbsp Chinese rice wine or dry sherry
1 green onion, white and pale green parts minced, and dark green leaves sliced
1 small garlic clove, crushed through a press
2 Tbsp shredded unpeeled fresh ginger (use the large holes of a box grater)
4 salmon fillets, each 6 oz/170 g, skinned and pin bones removed
Toasted sesame seeds, for garnish
1) Position an oiled broiler rack 6 in/15 cm from the heat source and preheat the broiler.
2) Mix the hoisin sauce, rice wine, minced green onion, and garlic in a small bowl. Working over the bowl, squeeze the ginger hard in your hand to extract the juice, and stir the juice into the sauce. Discard the ginger.
3) Broil the fillets, skinned side up, for 3 minutes. Flip the salmon over. Slather with the glaze and continue broiling until the glaze is bubbling, 2 to 3 minutes for medium-rare salmon. Transfer each fillet to a dinner plate. Sprinkle with the sliced green onion leaves and sesame seeds and serve.