When you think of frank, honest talk about sex, our next guest immediately comes to mind: Dr. Ruth Westheimer has been giving advice to couples for years...on radio, TV, and now online.
This June, America's best-loved therapist, Dr. Ruth turns eighty-seven. To celebrate her birthday she is sharing private stories from her past and her present in her new book, 'The Doctor Is In: Dr. Ruth on Love, Life, and Joie de Vivre'.Known for her wise counsel on all matters of the heart, Dr. Ruth now sheds light on how she's learned to live a life filled with joie de vivre.
Everyone knows Dr. Ruth as the most famous and trusted sex therapist, but few people know she narrowly escaped death from the Holocaust, was raised in an orphanage in Switzerland, or that she was a sniper during Israel's War of Independence. In spite of these difficulties,
Dr. Ruth has always had an insatiable zest for life, what she calls her "joie de vivre." Now, Dr. Ruth shows readers how they too can learn to deal with tragedy and loss, challenges and success, all while nourishing an intellectual and emotional spark, and above all, having fun.
Dr. Ruth shares the lessons she's learned for a life filled with joie de vivre:
- Focus on the present. Pay attention to the people around you. Ask questions and listen to the answers. Tell everyone what happened to you during the day and make it as amusing as possible.
- Cultivate good friends who know how to lift your mood.
- If you're showing up to an event, make the most of it.
- Believe in something and embrace your passions.
- Crying and letting the emotions out is a good thing and actively promotes joie de vivre.
- Be open to giving of yourself.
- Stand up for your principles.
- Embrace surprises.
- Actively combat boredom.
- Think of your life like a red carpet, put a smile on your face and accept whatever attention you can get and enjoy it.
(Source: Amazon Publishing)
Dr. Ruth will be talking about her book. "An Evening With Dr. Ruth" happening at the Anne and Jerry Moss Theatre in Santa Monica, Monday night, June 15th at 8:00pm. 'The Doctor Is In'...is out now.
Follow Dr. Ruth on Twitter: @AskDrRuthCopyright 2015 FOX 11 Los Angeles : Download our mobile app for breaking news alerts or to watch FOX 11 News | Follow us on Facebook, Twitter and YouTube.