But Andrew Morton says the real reason he surrendered the throne is much darker.
Andrew Morton is the New York Times bestselling author of a number of biographies featuring the British Royal Family, as well as entertainment celebrities including Angelina Jolie, Tom Cruise and Madonna. He may be best known for his biography of Princess Diana, Diana: Her True Story.
- In his new book "17 Carnations: The Royals, The Nazis And The Biggest Cover-Up In History", Morton gets into a lot of scandalous things, including how Edward VIII was not just a Nazi sympathizer, but friends with Hitler.
- Andrew Morton is the New York Times bestselling author of a number of biographies featuring the British Royal Family, as well as entertainment celebrities including Angelina Jolie, Tom Cruise and Madonna. He may be best known for his biography of Princess Diana, Diana: Her True Story. As you know, he is an amazing interview who can talk to a number of questions connected to this specific moment in history – as well as present-day implications, such as:
- The British government and King George VI sent British spies to retrieve from a German castle the "Windsor File," explosive correspondence between the Duke and Duchess of Windsor and the Third Reich. They then actively and somewhat shockingly concealed the file from the public, so the British Royal Family would not be embarrassed. Morton can compare this situation to recent government cover-ups.
- The cover-up of the Windsor File was so important to the British government that it threatened to impact the often talked about "special relationship" between the US and the UK. Morton can explain how this almost happened, and how that relationship has been maintained up until today.
- Edward saw himself as a peacemaker and felt that if he'd remained King, World War II would have been avoided. Could Edward have re-written history?
- With the media observing every move of the most popular British Royals, Morton can discuss his thoughts on whether the British government still covers-up the embarrassing secrets of royals – and also if the US government does the same with US politicians and celebrities.
- Did Edward purposefully leak information to the Nazis, including key information about the Maginot Line and French and Belgian defenses?
- Winston Churchill was a surprisingly constant supporter of Edward throughout his life. Morton can discuss why Churchill – anti-German and anti-fascist – always supported the former King.
- What was the importance of the 17 carnations regularly sent by the German Foreign Minister von Ribbentrop to Wallis Simpson?
- Morton asserts that Edward VIII was the first international royal celebrity. How did Edward's renown compare to members of the British Royal Family today.
- Edward VIII created a major scandal and was forced to abdicate his throne when he married Wallis Simpson, a commoner and a divorcee (and American!) whose previous husbands were still alive. Prince Charles married his mistress, Camilla Parker Bowles, whose previous husband is still alive with very little controversy. And William married Kate Middleton, a commoner, with no real controversy at all. Morton can explain how these marriages of future British monarchs differ from Edward's situation.
(Source: Grand Central Publishing)
Andrew will be at Vroman's Bookstore on April 7th to talk about and sign copies of his new book.
"17 Carnations: The Royals, The Nazis And The Biggest Cover-Up In History" is out now.
Copyright 2015 FOX 11 Los Angeles | Download our mobile app for breaking news alerts | Follow us on Facebook, Twitter and YouTube.